English Grammar Tenses Software: Top 15 List
There is no doubt that English grammar tenses software can be extremely useful when proofreading and editing papers and other types of text. Using the wrong verb tense in your writing can confuse the reader and apps that can find if something is not in the right verb tense will help to identify these types of mistakes. So, is there an app to change paragraph tense once you have detected an error? There are dozens of apps and websites to turn past tense to present and fix other verb tense issues. Often an app to help with tense issues will also perform other functions. There are spell checkers that check for tense problems as well as a wide variety of other grammatical errors. A future, present and past tense finder that also detects and corrects other types of mistakes will be useful for anybody that writes.
Top 15 Software Detecting Verb Tense Issues Apps
There is no shortage of both paid and free software check tense in writing apps for you to choose from online. If you are looking for apps that can find if something is not in the right verb tense the following is a list of the 15 best tools for checking tense in writing.
Grammarly may be the best known of the verb tense checking tools. It offers suggestions for improving your grammar, your syntax and also your vocabulary in real time. You can also add your own words to the inbuilt dictionary. It has free and premium versions.
- This verb tense grammar checker detects multiple types of grammatical errors
- One click correction for many types of errors
- It helps you to detect and correct spelling mistakes as well as grammatical errors.
- Evaluates your text against over eight billion web pages to check for plagiarism
- Extensions for Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Edge
ProWritingAid checks for the sentence quality, punctuation and the use of both passive and active voice. You can also check your grammar, for readability, and also any plagiarism. The tool can be downloaded free or you can use their premium version.
- Detailed run down on any grammar mistakes
- Provides Thesaurus for word suggestions
- Does a readability test to see how understandable your text is
- Supports Windows and Mac Systems
Slick write is a free grammar checking application that highlights a variety of errors in your text such as passive voice use, including redundant sentences, repeated words and numerous grammar errors.
- Grammar checking dashboard that shows all key statistics
- Contextual word association
- Readability index
- Import file options
WhiteSmoke is a great correction tool for grammar, punctuation, spelling and writing style that has been redesigned to improve efficiency. Tools are available for both native and non-native English speakers. There is a free and premium version.
- Uses AI and Natural Language Processing algorithms
- Multiple language dictionaries, translator and templates built-in
- Can be integrated with most browsers and text editors
After the Deadline is a free open-source spell-check and grammar app that is available for download for Chrome, FireFox, WordPress, Open Office and other applications. It assists with identifying mistakes and recommends corrections you can make.
- Multi-language support
- Cross-platform compatibility
- Detects misused words
- Errors explanation
Ginger is a grammar and spelling checker tool that identifies and corrects mistakes in grammar, punctuation, style, and spelling in your text. The tool will also assist with improving poorly written sentences. It offers a free and premium version.
- Comprehensive thesaurus and dictionaries available
- Correct multiple types of grammar mistakes
- Misused words correction
- Intuitive word predictions
- Cross-platform web and mobile app
GrammarCheck is a free open-source grammar and spelling checker. It is easy to use by copy and pasting content into the provided field.
- Advanced and in-depth check and correction
- Active and passive voice checker
- Simple copy-paste of text
- Color-coded error and correction suggestions
LanguageTool is a grammar checker for identifying and correcting grammar mistakes and style issues in text. Users have the ability to enable or disable rules in the app. There is both a paid and premium version.
- Grammar, spelling, and style check
- Suggests corrections to identified errors
- Customizable dictionary
- Supports multiple languages
- Has an offline version for desktop
PaperRater is an online grammar and spelling checker that also evaluates writing structure. Besides checking grammar, spelling, style, and punctuation this tool also examines text for plagiarism.
- Grammar and spelling check
- Plagiarism check and originality score
- Vocabulary builder
- Writing reports and statistics in real-time
Nounplus is a check for the right tense app for detecting and correcting errors in both grammar and spelling. This writing tool is easy to use and is free.
- Reads your written text back to you
- Allows you to explore different ways to phrase your text
OnlineCorrection is a free app to help with tense issues and other grammar problems. The tool detects style related problems and spelling mistakes in addition to grammar errors.
- Feedback on writing construction and vocabulary improvement
- Edit is several different English dialects
Scribens is a completely free subject verb tense agreement app that checks for numerous grammar errors and spelling mistakes as well as identifying issues with style.
- Built-in dictionary and thesaurus to find the meaning of words, synonyms, and definitions.
- Extensive integration enables you to check content on many platforms including Gmail, Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
- Detailed writing statistics
Reverso is a free language translation tool as well as a website to find tense shifts problems and other grammar errors. It also has a built-in spelling checker and provides help with writing style and punctuation.
- Translates multiple languages
- Provides correction assistance
- Cross-platform web and mobile app
Outwrite is an online app to change present tense to past tense as well as correct many other types of mistakes in grammar and spelling. The tool also helps you rephrase and restructure sentences to improve your writing style. There is a free and paid version
- Writing statistics
- Advanced grammar and spelling checker
- Plagiarism checks
The Hemmingway editor is a free grammar checker that focuses on improving the style of written content by highlighting passive voice, complex sentences and poor word choice. It is also a grammar and spelling checker. There is both a free and premium version.
- Color-coded highlights for errors
- Easy-to-use interface
- Detailed suggestions and pointers
- Can perform editing tasks offline
One of the online proofreader verb tense checker tools discussed above is sure to fit your needs when proofreading and editing for verb tense issues.
How to Choose a Change Tense App
There are several things to consider when choosing an essay tense checker to assist you with proofreading and editing your paper. Some of the most important things to take into account include:
- Accuracy. The change tenses in a sentence tool you select must be accurate in detecting errors to ensure no mistake is overlooked.
- Multiple features. You may want to check for more than tense related issues. Look for a change tenses in a sentence tool that can assist you with other grammar issues, punctuation mistakes, style problems as well as check for spelling mistakes.
- Speed. This is not the most important factor but it helps if the tool is fast
- Cost. Tense checker tools range from free to several hundred dollars a year. Choose a tool that fits your budget.
- Works with any type of text. Preferably a tense editor will work well with any text from academic papers and essays to articles, blog posts, memos, letters or any other type of writing.